Monday, December 26, 2016

Forge Improvement Update!

Fox River Forge resides in Wisconsin in what was primarily a storage shed without electricity or insulation. This means that for a good portion of the year it is cold in the shop and there are weeks where it's just too cold to work. It's cold inside the shop and the tools, specifically the anvil, are so cold I end up burning way more fuel that is tolerable to make even simple items. This is hugely inconvenient as the time off leads to atrophy of skills and potential degradation of equipment and supplies.

This year that changes!

My folks, with some guidance from my Jessie I think, presented me with a gift card to get a torpedo heater from a regional hardware store called Menards. This is very exciting as I will finally be able to continue working and learning and building up inventory on through the winter.

After taking some measurements and figuring out what size I needed I settled on a Dyna-Glo Delux. I went and picked it up and spent some time reading about how to set it up and use it safely. I am, admittedly, the type of person who will only look at directions if I can't get something to work or have already hurt myself using it incorrectly. However, I did a bunch of research on it this time as it has the capacity to not only burn down my shop but severely hurt or kill me in the process. So having done my research, a couple days ago I gave it a test run and let me tell you, IT WAS GREAT. It was snowing out and I was smithing away happily in my apron with a t-shirt over a thermal undershirt. I was able to work comfortably the whole time.

One of the things I made that day was an appreciation gift for the Fastenal representative who supplies the business I earn a living at. He supplies a variety of hardware we use in the shop including bolts and nuts, so I made him a bottle opener out of one of the bolts he supplied.
My good friend Cliff, who was the one who hand-crafted my apron, came up to visit while i was working and took some pictures.


I’m looking forward to being able to keep the shop open and productive. I hope everyone had a great holiday season and wish all of you a wonderful, happy and healthy New Year.